I am totally guilty of this. In fact most days I skip a lunch break and just eat at my desk while working. I always bring a lunch to work and I'm so busy that I literally don't feel like I have time to take that break to eat so I just eat while still working. I wouldn't say I scarf down my meal though, I'm just a multi-tasker so I can easily eat while still getting work done. According to WorkingMother.com there are 8 reasons why you need to take your full lunch break though. Those reasons are below but click here to read more.
- Skipping won't earn you extra credit - why in the world are we obsessed with this. I've never heard of anyone getting a raise because they worked through lunch.
- Your brain works better - even just a short break can restore your brain power.
- It's a mood booster - getting away from your desk can make you feel better and think more clearly.
- It decreases distractions - your lunch break is a great time to get personal things done like making appointments, grocery lists, etc. so you're not focused on those things while working.
- You'll be a less-stressed parent - this is some of the only time you get to yourself. Take advantage of it!
- You'll get more done - taking a bit of time off can actually help with creativity because when you get back to your desk you feel more productive.
- It'll help balance your day - if you don't eat enough throughout the day, we tend to make up for it later.
- It promotes problem-solving - when you step away for a bit you're given a chance to actually think about things instead of just responding right away.