You've heard many people say their goal in life is to just be happy but how in the world do they accomplish that. You should never expect to be happy and have things to go well every single day because if we didn't have bad days we wouldn't know what good days felt like. I truly believe being happy has everything to do with the little things in life. If you know me or have listened to me on the radio at all you've probably heard me say that many times. If at the moment you're struggling to find that happiness, first of all know you're not alone as this is a difficult time for all of us and secondly, here are a few things to keep in mind if you want to be happier every day from yourtango.com.
- Set smaller goals - I don't like the word smaller. I prefer to think of it as setting "more attainable" goals. Start with something you can accomplish because the feeling you get once you do is unbeatable. Then start setting more difficult ones and challenge yourself as that great feeling will only increase!
- Practice saying "no" - Whoa do I need work on this one. I get this from my Mom as we are both so guilty of never saying no. I will push myself to the absolute max to fit it all in and that really isn't good for anyone. Sometimes you just need to say no.
- Let loose - Perfection is not necessary. Let loose doesn't have to mean go out and get crazy. It could be as simple as trying to laugh more.
- Practice gratitude - Give thanks. Imagine how much better we'd feel if we took just a little more time each day to acknowledge at least one thing for which we're thankful.
- Honor your feelings - Taken right from the article at yourtango.com, "Own your emotions. It's okay not to be okay." Admit you're not okay then get to work on making it better.
- Nourish your body - Easier said than done but we need to be taking care of our bodies. Get enough sleep, focus on better nutrition, take time to exercise and be active. It's amazing how much better you'll feel in a short amount of time.
- Embrace mindfulness - Start off slowly with this one. Try to be in the moment more and you'll notice things you might not otherwise.
- Talk to yourself with loving kindness - One of my biggest pet peeves is listening to my friends talk badly about themselves whether it's their weight, looks, etc. Don't do that. Give yourself the same pep talk you'd give someone else going through a hard time or struggling with something. Use affirmations and keep it positive. You'll be much better off.
- Giver yourself a break. Literally - Whoa I feel like this article is speaking to me! Take minutes, hours, days, whatever it takes to recharge and get you in the right place. Seriously, take the time as you won't regret it.
- Know your worth - This is something many of us struggle with and it's not easy to overcome. I'm going to suggest books that friends of mine have told me about. I haven't read either yet but they come highly recommended. "Knowing Your Value" by Mika Brzezinski and basically any book by Rachel Hollis like "Girl, Stop Apologizing" and "Girl, Wash Your Face."