In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. our offices are closed today but I came in early before my show to catch up on some work. Although I love my coworkers and we have a great group of people here at iHeartMedia Milwaukee I really enjoyed having the morning to myself. It was so quiet and peaceful. Obviously I was able to get a lot of work done but I also had the chance to reflect on why our office is closed today. As I was deciding what I'd like to feature as my Make It Through Monday moment today to lift your spirits this afternoon I knew sharing Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. quotes was a great way to go. Of course we all remember the famous "I have a dream" speech but Dr. King spoke many more inspiring words which I'd like to share with you today. I shared some of my favorites below and the rest can be found from an article shared by The Oprah Magazine at Oprahmag.com.
- "Let no man pull you so low as to hate him" from his 1956 "The Most Durable Power" sermon
- "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward." from his April 1960 address at Spelman College
- "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of convenience and comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." from his 1963 book, Strength to Love
- "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." from Strength to Love
- "We must use time creatively, in the knowledge that the time is always ripe to do right." From his "Letter from a Birmingham Jail"