Oh, do we love our cheese curds here in Wisconsin! Fresh are great; fried curds are even better. It wasn't too long ago people in other parts of the country had never even HEARD of cheese curds. Now they're gaining popularity all over. And now, USA Today's "10 Best" wants to know who has the best fried cheese curds in the state.
It'a a tough call. Some places beer-batter their cheese curds; some use panko breading, some customize how the curds are coated. They use different oils, different spices, different styles of cheese. Cheddar is most popular, although we’re big fans of Muenster, too! In fact, some of my favorite curds are the Muenster fried curds at Sconni's in Schofield (near Wausau), where I discovered them during a Discover Wisconsin shoot - they're among the finalists.
Nominees in our part of the state right now include:
- Carlson’s Rustic Ridge in Friendship
- Craftsman Table & Tap in Middleton
- Crawfish Junction in Johnson Creek
- Curd Girl (the food truck we love!)
- Del-Bar in Wisconsin Dells
- Field to Fork in Sheboygan
- Grumpy Troll Brew Pub in Mount Horeb
- Horse & Plow in Kohler
- Kristi’s Restaurant in New Glarus
- Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee
- Old Fashioned in Madison
- Pioneer Keg in Theresa
- Tipsy Cow in Sun Prairie
You can vote for your favorite of these HERE.
SO - where are YOUR favorite fried Wisconsin cheese curds? We want to know! Let us know in the comments or on our Facebook page – I'm gonna try every last place I can!