Holiday shopping is coming up (actually, as you can see at SO many stores, it's already started), and the annual W.A.T.C.H. (World Against Toys Causing Harm) list of the "10 Worst Toys" is out. They include:
1. Hand Fidgetz Spinners by Kipp Brothers. Why? Because the small parts can become loose or pulled off.
2. Itty Bittys Baby Plush Stacking Toy, by Hallmark . Looks like the small hats and bows could detach and be a choking hazard. There is a recall on these already, actually.
3. Pull Along Pony, by Tolo Toys Limited -- WATCH says the string is longer than it should be for a playpen or crib toy.
4. Wonder Woman Battle-Action Sword, by Mattel -- The plastic sword could hurt.
5. Spider-Man Spider-Drone Official Movie Edition, by Marvel and Skyrocket Toys -- That propeller blade could be dangerous.
6. Nerf Zombie Strike Dreadbolt Crossbow, by Hasbro -- It can cause eye or facial injuries..
7. Slackers Slackline Classic Kit, by Brand 44 -- The outdoor tightrope could come with a strangulation hazard.
8. The Oval Xylophone, by Plan Toys Inc. and Plan Creations -- The long stick used to play the xylophone could block a child's airway if they stick it in their mouth.
9. Jetts Heel Wheels, by Razor USA -- This brand comes with sparklers on the back that spark while moving and can burn.
10. Brianna Babydoll, by Melissa & Doug -- The removable clothes and ponytail holders can be a choking hazard.
Now, according to WKOW-TV, the Toys Association - an industry trade group - dismissed this list as "needlessly frightening" to parents because all toys sold in the U.S. have to meet safety standards. But of course, parents should use their best judgment. Here's a link to WKOW-TV Channel 27's full report.
But hey, I remember far more dangerous toys. Remember Jarts, those sharp lawn darts??