What EXACTLY makes a great Fish Fry? See Below:
- Cod – a flaky, dense fish – is encased in golden-light, not-too-greasy batter, often enhanced with beer.
- Lightly breaded lake perch fillets are tender and crispy, and have a mild – but not bland – flavor.
- An indispensable tartar sauce has the right level of pickly and tart flavors.
- Coleslaw is crunchy and not drowned in mayo vinaigrette! Bonus points awarded for fresh dill and/or celery seed.
- When the applesauce is homemade (not out of a jar), the fruit and cinnamon flavors stand out.
- Fresh-baked rye bread, tender and enhanced with the anise-like flavor of caraway seeds.
Photo: Getty Image