- Memorial Day is a day to honor and mourn those who gave their lives in service to their country. Here are some things you might not know about the holiday:
- Memorial Day was originally known as 'Decoration Day', named after the tradition of decorating a soldier's grave with flowers.
- It was originally observed on May 30th every year. That was changed in 1970 to the last Monday of May.
- The exact origins of Memorial Day are unknown - in fact, there are 25 places that claim to have invented it.
- The longest-running Memorial Day Parade is held in the town of Rochester, Wisconsin, which has hosted a parade every year since 1867.
Photo: Getty Images