Some of us are just not “gym people.” And while we prefer being lazy to a sweat sesh, we do like the idea of sneaking in fitness whenever we can. So since summer is almost here and we need to get ourselves caftan-ready, here are a few tiny tweaks we can make to our routines that could burn a few extra calories and boost our metabolisms without setting foot inside a gym.
- While you’re brushing your teeth - Make the most of the time you spend on this mundane activity by burning some extra calories and working your thighs. Registered dietitian Alissa Rumsey suggests pulsing up and down in a second position plié while you’re brushing your teeth, or doing your makeup and hair.
- While commuting - Fitness expert Joselynne Boschen says if you sit on the edge of your seat with your feet slightly off the ground during your commute instead of cuddling up and getting comfy, you’ll activate your abs and burn a few more calories too.
- While waiting in line - Instead of looking at the line you’re waiting in at the post office or Starbucks as a huge waste of time, spend the time perfecting your posture and tightening your glutes and abs, Boschen suggests.
- While cooking - She also says cooking is a good time to do some kicks, jump squats, or any movement you want to help burn extra calories when you’re in the kitchen.
- While waiting for your coffee to brew - Boshen advises doing some calf raises while you’re waiting for your coffeepot to finish or kettle to boil.
- While vacuuming - Do some lunges while you’re getting the floors clean and you’ll feel the burn in your legs and booty, she explains.