You can save a LOT of money by NOT buying certain things at the grocery store. Start with these ten ...
1. Salad dressing. You can make a vinaigrette at home in less than a minute.
2. Gift cards. You do it because you forgot to buy a gift and you're in a hurry. But the activation fees are $5 or more.
3. Greeting cards. You spend $4 on one card when you could buy 50 blank cards and envelopes for the same price.
4. Name brand spices. Too expensive, and most people can't tell the difference. Get bulk spices from a health food store, or grow your own herbs in a window planter.
5. Flowers. The pre-made bouquets tend to wilt quickly, and they're filled with a lot of greenery and not enough actual flowers. You can save money by buying single flowers and making your own arrangement.
6. Party supplies. Just get them at the dollar store. You'll pay less than half as much, and they might even have a better selection.
7. Lunchables. They're REALLY unhealthy, especially the pepperoni pizza kind. It takes almost no time in the morning to make a sandwich for a school lunch.
8. Batteries. Groceries make them extra-expensive because they know you never think to buy them until you need them. You get a much better deal buying in bulk somewhere else.
9. Bottled water. It's usually no safer than tap water, and it costs 1,000 times more. If you don't like the taste of tap water, get a filter for your faucet.
10. Diapers. Again, there's a big markup because you usually don't buy them until you're out. Buy in bulk from Amazon or Costco, and save a lot of money.
Source: Yahoo! Finance